Relatively little used in France, cinnamon is nevertheless a spice full of virtues very appreciated by Chinese and Ayurvedic medicines. Behind its powerful taste often associated with winter hides a whole set of health benefits. In this article we tell you how to use cinnamon for weight loss.
What are its health benefits and our favorite cinnamon infusion recipe for weight loss.
The benefits of cinnamon on the body
The exceptional composition of cinnamon gives it many health benefits. Among them, it is more and more common to use cinnamon to lose weight. Here’s how cinnamon works on the body to promote weight loss:
Natural appetite suppressant
It has an almost immediate appetite suppressant effect. Because of this, cinnamon helps increase satiety and naturally reduce daily calorie intake.
Natural sugar substitute
Cinnamon is a fairly easy replacement for sugar in desserts. Indeed, its powerful taste allows to give taste while reducing the sugar content of the preparations. This point is very interesting when you know the damage caused by sugar on the line.
This spice, when used regularly, helps stimulate the digestive system and aid digestion. After a large meal or in case of digestive pain, cinnamon can be a great help to recover well.
Cinnamon, regulator of blood sugar and cholesterol level
The active ingredients in cinnamon have a positive effect on cholesterolemia and blood sugar. In particular, the MHCP contained in cinnamon can significantly increase insulin sensitivity. In Chinese medicine, this spice is also used to treat type 2 diabetes. This effect of cinnamon is very interesting, especially when you know that the drop in insulin sensitivity is responsible for certain overweight and associated pathologies (diabetes, cardiovascular disease, arthritis, etc.).
Increase in energy expenditure
Also, cinnamon has another advantage for losing weight. Its ingestion increases the body temperature and forces the organism to fight to restore its temperature to standard values. As a result, energy expenditure and fat burning are increased.
Other health benefits of cinnamon
Finally, cinnamon has many other health benefits. Containing more than 90% of antioxidant substances, it helps to fight against excess free radicals and premature aging of cells. It should also be noted its anti-inflammatory effect and its beneficial action on the circulatory and immune systems.
How to incorporate more cinnamon into your daily diet
In France, cinnamon is relatively little used in cooking. However, its unique taste offers many possibilities:
- For dessert: combined with apple, pear, honey, coffee or chocolate. It can be interesting to experiment and add a little cinnamon to bring originality to desserts, even the most classic. In yoghurts and compotes, cinnamon also brings a little more very interesting both from a health point of view and from a flavor point of view.
- In the dishes: contrary to what is often thought, cinnamon is not just for desserts. The dishes of world cuisine in particular lend themselves perfectly to its strong taste to give even more intensity. For example, vegetable curries, woks, or tagines are generally perfect for subtly slipping a pinch of cinnamon without disturbing the final taste of the dish.
- To flavor drinks: and not only in winter! Often associated only with Christmas drinks, cinnamon is delicious all year round. In herbal teas, coffee, hot chocolate or in homemade juices, it’s easy to enjoy. For this, prefer to use Ceylon cinnamon stick and sparingly, it is richer in active ingredients.
Our cinnamon herbal tea recipe
To use cinnamon to lose weight more easily, here is a delicious infusion recipe. Here, cinnamon is combined with ginger and honey to increase its slimming effects and stimulate the body.
For 1 person
- 250 ml of water
- 1 stick of Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. quality honey
- 1 black tea bag
- ½ cm ginger root
- To prepare your cinnamon infusion to lose weight, start by grating the ginger very finely.
- Then heat the water in a saucepan. From the start, add the cinnamon stick so that the flavor develops well. Bring the water to a boil. Then add the black tea and let it steep for 5 to 7 minutes. After infusion, remove the black tea bag and the cinnamon stick.
- Just before serving, place the ginger and honey at the bottom of your cup. Pour the cinnamon infused black tea over it and mix. Enjoy it hot and without delay to enjoy all the benefits of this infusion.